cars — as in car-cars, not crossovers on car platforms masquerading as suvs — seem to be an endangered species if you follow automotive news at all. and the pessimistic outlook isn't unwarranted as, after years of low gas prices, americans have decidedly shifted their interest to suvs. that said, cars remain some of the top-selling vehicles in the country, especially when you're talking about a segment stalwart like the toyota corolla. and in his first drive in the redesigned-for-2020 corolla, reviewer fred meier gives would-be buyers reasons to stick with the sedan.
in our most popular article of the week, meier notes that the corolla sedan borrows wisely from its hatchback counterpart, which underwent a well-received overhaul for 2019 — giving up some of the hatch's "cuteness" but adding a practical backseat, a trunk and the availability of its sportier new powertrain.
"corolla sedans have had a well-earned reputation for dependability, but also the emotional appeal of an appliance; my refrigerator sparks more joy," meier writes. "no longer: the redesigned 2020 sedan, like its hatchback sibling, is a corolla you could want, not just need."
you can get meier's complete corolla initial driving impressions by following the link below.
other popular stuff this week included reviewer brian wong's first drive of the redesigned-for-2019 bmw 3 series — with related coverage accounting for two of this week's top 10, at nos. 2 and 6 — as it seeks to re-establish its rep as the luxury sports sedan. at no. 3, meanwhile, is our 2019 geneva international motor show tease of mazda's all-new mystery suv (which we now know to be the cx-30), followed by recall news from subaru and kia to round out the top five.
catch up on those stories and the rest of our most read coverage below. here are the 10 stories readers couldn't get enough of in the past seven days:
1. 2020 toyota corolla first drive: hatching a sedan you can love
2. video: driving the 2019 and 2020 bmw 3 series
3. mazda hints at all-new suv for geneva motor show debut
4. subaru plans largest ever recall for impreza, forester: report
5. 2012-2016 kia soul: recall alert
6. 2019-2020 bmw 3 series first drive: is the mojo back?
7. mercedes-benz boosts mid-size suv lineup with amg gle 53
8. 2011-2013 hyundai tucson: recall alert
9. 2020 mercedes-benz glc300: don't judge this benz by its cover
10. 2019 volkswagen jetta gli: higher performance for lower price
's editorial department is your source for automotive news and reviews. in line with 's long-standing ethics policy, editors and reviewers don't accept gifts or free trips from automakers. the editorial department is independent of 's advertising, sales and sponsored content departments.