The Alfa Romeo Stelvio five-seat family hauler is an SUV that will do more than just haul your kids around. As we noted in drag-strip testing during our 2018 Luxury Compact SUV Challenge, the Stelvio is a formidable performer that can gulp down roads at a startling pace. But how does that translate in terms of fuel costs for the 2019 model? What should you expect to pay?
As it was last week, so it is again this week: You will pay more than seven days ago. The national average for regular gas rose 3 cents to $2.41, according to the AAA Daily Fuel Gauge Report. Here's what that means for the Stelvio regardless of whether you get the base 2.0-liter four-cylinder Used Engine or the 2.9-liter V-6:
- At the national average of $2.97 per gallon for premium, filling the Stelvio's 16.9-gallon tank from empty would cost $50.19.
- In Hawaii, where premium was $3.59 a gallon to be the highest average in the U.S. once again, the bill would be $60.67.
- In Utah, premium averaged $2.49 per gallon to surprise as the lowest average by far — well ahead of Idaho's $2.61 average. The cost of filling up there would drop to $41.57.
The national average for regular gas on Thursday was 15 cents higher than a month ago, and premium was 13 cents higher. Regular, though, is 13 cents cheaper than it was a year ago and premium is 10 cents cheaper. Diesel is 2 cents higher than a month ago and 3 cents higher than a year ago.
States in the Southeast and Southwest typically have the lowest gas prices because of their lower taxes, and that was the case on Thursday. But prices have jumped by 15 cents in Missouri and 18 cents in Arkansas and Mississippi over the past two weeks. Regular also has spiked by 18 cents in Louisiana and Oklahoma, 20 cents in Kansas and Texas, 22 cents in Alabama and 25 cents in Florida in two weeks. Pump prices jumped again in the Southeast and Southwest as more refineries slowed or shut down production for scheduled and emergency maintenance, squeezing the gasoline supply.
- Research the 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
- Shop for a 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
- Video: What's the Best Luxury Compact SUV for 2018?
- The 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Finished Fifth in Our Challenge, But I Still Love It
Prices typically rise in late winter and through the spring when refineries undergo maintenance and, in several parts of the country, switch to summer gasoline blends that are more expensive to produce. That doesn't help the increasing amount of motorists using premium gas as the auto industry sells more vehicles that require high-octane fuel or need premium for maximum performance.
's Editorial department is your source for automotive news and reviews. In line with 's long-standing ethics policy, editors and reviewers don't accept gifts or free trips from automakers. The Editorial department is independent of 's advertising, sales and sponsored content departments.