the toyota rav4 has been a popular choice among compact suv shoppers since it first arrived at dealerships. reviewer jennifer geiger never really understood the model's popularity, finding previous generations noisy and lacking in solid driving dynamics. but after driving the all-new 2019 rav4, particularly hybrid models, geiger is starting to get it — or perhaps the rav4 is actually starting to live up to its hype.
speaking of hype, geiger's review of the 2019 toyota rav4 shot straight to the no. 1 spot among this week's most popular reviews. here's what she had to say:
"the standout is the rav4 hybrid. it delivers utility, economy and the most comfortable driving experience. the hybrid pairs a 2.5-liter inline-four-cylinder used engine with electric motors, a nickel-metal-hydride battery pack and a continuously variable automatic transmission that's good for 219 horsepower total. off the line, pep is brisk and linear, and the cvt does an adequate job of delivering more — though when pushed on hill climbs, the powertrain can get loud."
read her full review for all the details.
in the world of videos, we at said farewell to our long-term tester, the 2018 volkswagen atlas, and polled our staff on whether they'd be in favor of buying it again with the knowledge gained from a full year of driving; that video checks in at no. 2. we also drive two very different four-cylinder trucks — the new full-size 2019 chevrolet silverado rst and the all-new mid-size 2019 ford ranger — in our third- and fourth-place videos, respectively.
check out the top five reviews and videos of the week below.
top 5 reviews
1. 2019 toyota rav4 review: delivers more, costs more
2. 2019 ram 1500 review: top luxury or work, but not both
3. 2018 nissan kicks review: impressive value and utility without awd
4. 2019 subaru forester review: new and better, but not shouting it
5. 2018 porsche 911 turbo s review: delivering on its reputation
top 5 videos
1. 2019 bmw x7: interior first impressions
2. would we buy the 2018 volkswagen atlas again?
3. 2019 chevrolet silverado 1500 turbo 2.7-liter: first drive
4. 2019 ford ranger: first drive
5. 2019 mazda mx-5 miata: first drive
's editorial department is your source for automotive news and reviews. in line with 's long-standing ethics policy, editors and reviewers don't accept gifts or free trips from automakers. the editorial department is independent of 's advertising, sales and sponsored content departments.