- the geneva auto show was canceled last week over concerns regarding the spread of the covid-19 virus (coronavirus).
- photographer george williams reveals in a video what the geneva auto show looks like after two days of manufacturers disassembling their stands.
- after two days of take down, there is quite a bit of work that still needs to be done.
just a few days before the press preview of the geneva auto show, the swiss government canceled the event by implementing ban on gatherings of more than 1000 people due to concerns regarding the spread of covid-19 virus (coronavirus) within europe. now, a few days after the cancellation, a video shows the state of disassembly on the show floor as manufacturers tear down their stands.
photographer george williams told c/d that he gained access to the geneva show floor while on assignment for a manufacturer and shot the video march 1. the video reveals the great deal of work that goes into setting up and constructing a manufacturer’s stand at an auto show, as the show floor is littered with boxes and building materials while the companies tear down their displays.
the video shows booths from manufacturers such as mercedes, bentley, audi, hyundai, and many others after two days of disassembly. a lot more work remains for the automakers as they take down their stands.
“a lot of these guys (companies) have spent millions of pounds, dollars, whatever, on their stands,” williams says in the video. “i’m wondering, is this our last ever geneva (auto show)?”
only one stand, koenigsegg, was still being built as the manufacturer decided that it would continue with a previously planned reveal from the show floor. last month, supercar blog reported that koenigsegg was planning to use the geneva show to unveil a concept, the mission 500, a hypercar aimed at hitting 500 kmh, or just over 310 mph.
“everyone here is clearly disheartened, which is sad, really sad to see,” williams says in the video as he walks the show floor. “these guys, it’s their livelihood, stand building.”